expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday 22 November 2012

Seasons

This week the onset of Winter has been very much in evidence. Every time I've been out in the car leaves have whirled on the road in front of me, and the trees now look bare. The sky always seems grey and dark, and the season of winter has stripped away the last threads of autumn.
Winter is also a reflection on a personal level, as we go through seasons in our lives, times where sometimes everything is barren, compared to the fruitfulness of summer.




This week there has been the usual things that make life more tricky, sick children, leaking water pipes and the usual family debates on homework. But in other areas of my life I'm still going through aspects of winter, where it is hard going.

This morning I was reminded that this is fine, and also to hope within that:

'Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vine
though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food...
though there are no sheep in the sheepfold and no cattle in the stalls
yet I will rejoice in  the Lord, I will be joyful in God my saviour'

Habakkuk 3:17-18

It doesn't matter if there is no obvious 'crop' ,  what matters is God is unchanging, and I can place my hope in that, where I am is normal. All week through various friends I've been reminded to be thankful.

Tonight as I looked out of the kitchen window something colourful caught my eye against the bare branches. I went out to the bottom of the garden and there was one flower on a camilla that normally flowers in spring. It's the first time I've seen it.



It seems so out of place with the rest of nature,  but there was the colour and life against everything else. This is the joy against the darkness, and I'm learning to be thankful for that.


Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment